Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hello, WALL*E!

So while watching the previews for "WALL*E," I noticed that a rather familiar song played a rather key role in the movie. Y'know, this one:


I didn't know the name of the song at the time, but I sure did remember it. It's "Put On Your Sunday Clothes" from "Hello, Dolly." Where, you might ask, had I heard that song before? Why, on Main Street, U.S.A., of course, where an instrumental version is used in the music loop:

Put On Your Sunday Clothes (instrumental) - Disneyland (Main Street)

At first I wondered if the use of this song was the result of aural osmosis on the part of John Lassiter, who worked in the park as a younger man (and as a skipper too, the lucky fellow!). But, as Andrew Stanton explains in an interview:
I had done some musical theater in high school, so I auditioned songs from plays I was familiar with, one of them being Hello, Dolly! The instant I heard the opening of ''Put On Your Sunday Clothes,'' with the opening phrase ''Out there...'' I was hooked. I knew it was the weirdest idea I'd ever had, so I kept it to myself for a while until I felt I could better justify its use. Then I realized the song is about these two naïve guys, who've never left their small town, and just want to venture to the big city for one night and kiss a girl. That's my main character!


I liked my Disneyland theory better, though.

No comments: