Monday, April 9, 2007

"Wave to the hippos"

As I'm sure is true of every Jungle Cruise fan, I have a couple of favorite spiel lines (like the "ancient Cambodian shrine" built by "ancient Cambodian shriners"). But I have to say that my favorite off-the-cuff skipper comment (I doubt it was in the official spiel) comes from a summer trip in 2001.

My friend and I, both Cast Members at the time, had come to the park for the day to celebrate her birthday. Naturally, we took a ride on the Jungle Cruise. Per usual on a summer day, it was busy, and chock-full of tourists. As we entered the hippo pool, our skipper instructed us to "wave to the hippos, wave to the hippos [sigh] . . . 'cause all we're allowed to do is wave to the hippos . . ." The tourists bemusedly wavied, and watched with mild curiosity as my friend and I dissolved into snickers. After all, the line's only funny if you know that the skippers had their guns siezed in the late 1990s, and didn't get them back until just a few years ago. In 2001, all a skipper could do was "wave to the hippos" - no shooting allowed.

Glad to know those days are over.

No comments: